Thursday, December 15, 2005

Market Report: Heirloom apples in winter markets in New York City

Last week, for the first time in years, I visited New York City, where I lived when I was in law school from 1979 to 1982. The city's now-fabled greenmarkets were just starting in those years, and I was oblivious to their existence. Denise Matychowiak has given Seasonal Chef readers a good sense of what they've grown into these days with her reports on visits to some of the city's largest greenmarkets in August, September and October. But on my trip, I looked forward to seeing a greenmarket or two for myself. Having lived in relentlessly sunny Southern California for going on 20 years, I was also curious to see whether winter markets are viable at all in the cold, snowy northeast. The two tiny markets I visited on a hectic workday in the big city were viable indeed. I picked up some interesting heirloom apples (including this Golden Russet, the grandfather of the Golden Delicious), four types of pears and some "grass-fed cheese."

Here's my report on my visit to a couple of winter markets in New York City.